Burn Calories, Not Gas
Meet Bike Boy
As the youngest member of the group and the self-appointed daredevil, Bike Boy is famous for acting first and thinking later. Mrs. Match can often times be found reminding him to be careful when he does his "fancy bike tricks". Bike Boy is the newbie of the group, joining after the founding Team members decided they needed help in getting the word out about Alternative Transportation Solutions. When he is not enjoying his new hero gig, Bike Boy juggles college and his other passion - snowboarding. It's a well-known secret that Bike Boy has a huge crush on Vanity, and is always trying to impress her. What he lacks in experience, Bike Boy more than makes up for with his natural talents; there are high hopes for this one!
SAVE money. REDUCE vehicle emissions. PROTECT the environment!
JOIN BIKE BOYSM AND USE YOUR PEDAL OR FOOT POWER!
Two of the greatest things you can do--for your health, for the environment, and for traffic congestion is to ride a bike or walk to work. According to studies in the Journal of the American Medical Association (AMA), regular, quick walking is the simplest and the most effective way of preventing cardiovascular disease for both men and women. The AMA notes that a brisk tempo (over 5 km/hour (about 3.1 miles per hour) is more important than the duration. Biking and walking can also hep you maintain or reduce weight and tone muscles!
Biking strengthens your heart, lungs and muscles, eases stress and helps reduce health issues associated with a sedentary lifestyle. Riding a bike is healthy, fun and a low-impact form of exercise for all ages that is earth friendly! GET out, RIDE your bike and RECORD your trips on your personalized trip calendar when you login to your account.
May is National Bike Month, promoted by the League of American Bicyclists and celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling — and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
BENEFITS OF RIDING YOUR BIKING AND WALKING:
- Economical. Save money by leaving the car at home.
- Heart Healthy. Walking and biking help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Eco-Friendly. Reduces your carbon footprint.
BIKE SAFETY TIPS
- Follow the rules of the road. Review the Virginia Laws. if you’re unsure or need to brush up.
- Make eye contact and stay alert. Watch drivers' eyes to ensure they see you. Expect cars to make rolling stops and not see you. Don't wear earbuds and earphones in both ears while riding, your hearing is your second most important sense.
- Be seen. Use flashing lights on the front and rear of your bike and wear brightly colored clothing. Use hand signal and be very explicit when changing lanes or turning.
- Be heard. Have a bike bell or be willing to use your voice, LOUDLY.
- Wear a helmet.
- Watch for parked cars. Be very careful when driving by parked cars and claim your lane.
- Be prepared for repairs. Carry a spare inner tube, pump and repair kit. Know how to change a tire and do minor repairs. Keep your bike tuned and your brakes in good working condition.
• Make sure there’s enough air in your tires.
• Check that your brakes are working properly.
• Examine your chain to ensure it runs smoothly.
• And if you have quick release wheels, make sure the levers are secure!
If your bike is in need of more serious repair, consider calling your local bike shop. Bike shops are essential businesses, but may have limited hours and services. Call your shop for the most up-to-date information!
A WORD ABOUT HELMETS
Bike BoySM says that you should always wear a helmet while riding your bike. Make sure to replace your helmet if you have an accident and break your helmet.
BIKES ON BUSES
GRTC has made it easier than ever to ride the bus and ride your bike, all at the same time! All GRTC buses, except coach models, are equipped with front-mounted bicycle racks so cyclists can load their bicycle onto a bus and catch a ride. The racks are easy to use and can accommodate a wide array of bike styles, from a child's version to a fully loaded adult-size bike. This service is free to all riders. Watch a short bike rack tutorial video!
HELP RIDEFINDERS SHOW CENTRAL VIRGINIA THAT ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION WORKS!