What Can I Do?
GREEN IS OUR THING! "GREEN" STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO HELP THE ENVIRONMENT!
An Air Quality Action Day is forecast when warm temperatures and sunlight combine with vehicle and industrial emissions to form unhealthy ground-level ozone! These are simple steps you can take in your everyday life to help improve air quality especially during the summer months.
- Limit your driving. Carpool, vanpool, walk or bike to work or school.
- Take transit. Ride GRTC buses and use the trip planner.
- Telework. Visit www.teleworkva.org.
- Use hand-powered or electric lawn equipment.
- Park your car and walk inside to avoid idling your car in drive-thrus. Idling pollutes more than stopping and re-starting your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle properly tuned.
- Buy gasoline in the evening. Refueling in the evening decreases ground-level ozone pollution.
- Trip chain - combine errands for fewer trips.
- Bring your lunch to work or walk to get lunch!
- Call RideFinders at 643-7433 to set up your special rideshare arrangement for Air Quality Action Days (Code Orange and Code Red). Find me a carpool or vanpool match!
- DOWNLOAD our Air Quality Fact Sheet!
- Download the FREE RideFinders Ridematching and Rewards app to check daily forecast every day of the year.
- Take the Air Quality Awareness pledge.